Surely, you’ve heard of the saying, “patience is key”, right? Now, let’s all sit back and laugh, because a majority of us just aren’t lucky enough to have this talent! Telling an anxious person to be patient is like telling a lion to eat a salad! Well, without the running from an angry carnivore.
So, you’ve got something coming up or you’re waiting for a big promotion, or maybe you’re just waiting on that special someone to text you back. (cough*Dillon*cough) What do you do when the passing seconds are turning into passing years? You sit in a nice corner and scratch lines into the wall! Just kidding, I’m the only one who does that! *nervous laughter*
But seriously, what do you do? I mean, you can’t make time pass quickly, right? Of course not! Sure, you can sit on the couch and watch the clock, but that would make time a little slower. All you can do is wait.
Of course, you probably already know you can busy yourself with activities. Think about what you like to do. Or, not like to do. I’ll give you some examples of activities when I have free time from the kids:
- Your favorite hobby. I like to draw with charcoal, paint, or color, but if you don’t like any of these, find what you like to do in your spare time! If you don’t have a hobby, find one! There must be something you like to do or something you’re good at! Here’s a cool website with a large list of hobbies. Check it out if you’re having trouble deciding on something: http://www.notsoboringlife.com/list-of-hobbies/
- Clean, clean, clean! I know, I know, cleaning is boring. For me it is, anyway. However, it doesn’t have to be! put on some music or have your kids help you! Look at it this way, if your kids help you, you can pass more time go by fixing their “clean up”!
- Go for a drive. If you have the gas and ride, go where the road takes you! It’s a good way to reflect and pass the time! Crank the music up and make your own R&B music video. I know I’m not the only one who does that!
- “You got any games on your phone?” You might lie to that kid who always asks, but you can’t fool me! If you have a smart phone, odds are you have at least one game on there! Beat your high score or beat everyone else’s high score.
- Blog away. If you read my first post, I said my reasons for starting this blog, but you can start one just for the heck of it! It’s a great way to write down your thoughts and feelings and it doesn’t even have to be to make friends. Make it a journal!
These are just a few examples of what you can do to pass time. There is so much more! List your hobbies in the comments! You might help someone discover a hidden talent!
There is another form of patience, though. Patience with children. Now, if you don’t have kids yet, you can skip this, but I think all of you mothers and fathers know it takes patience to raise children. You can’t just drop everything and do your hobby. Your time is their time.
Children are not all sunshine and smiles. I know, I have three. I’m surprised I haven’t pulled all of my hair out, by now! There are messes to clean up, boo-boos to kiss, clothes to wash, food to make, doctor appointments, school activities, and so much more to do. Not to mention the constant fighting and tattling and hearing the word “mommy” at least a thousand times a day. It can get aggravating. Which is where this patience comes in. It takes balance to be a parent. You have to be patient with the right discipline. I am guilty of raising my voice, sometimes. I’m not perfect, no one is. Children don’t know any better. They don’t understand patience, yet. That’s why we have to teach them! So if you’re going to have your own little tantrum, do it when they are occupied! When they are around, be firm, yet gentle. No matter how rough it gets! Take deep breaths and think positive!
Patience, no matter the form, is hard for anyone, especially people with anxiety. In the long run, you’ll be glad you were patient! Things take time. It’s just a matter of what you do with your time. Be patient! Good things come to those who wait!
I’d also like to wish my grandmother a happy birthday! That wonderful lady has raised me into the person I am, today. I have never seen anyone with more patience than her! I love you, Mamaw!