I was browsing Pinterest and listening to music, when I came across a little game people are playing. I don’t know if it’s Tumblr or one of those other social media sites, but people are playing a game where you put your playlist on shuffle and list the first ten songs that come on. I’m hip. I like games. So, I wanted to do this in my post, today, because I wanted my post to be about music and nobody is going to stop me. *evil laughter*
Music. Why do we like music so much? I don’t know about you, but music heavily influences the way I’m feeling. It can stop my tears or bring them, depending on the song.
According to Philip Ball from BBC Future, music has about the same affect on the brain as sex, good food, and addictive drugs. I would have to agree. I wonder what happens if you do all four? Somebody, experiment with this and let me know what happens.
It’s probably one of the best ways to calm my anxiety, too. I just put on my favorite genre, Reggaeton, and the stress practically melts away. Well, it chips away and leaves residue, but it’s better, nonetheless. Music has always influenced me, though. Since I was a little girl, I loved to dance and sing. I didn’t do it in front of people, but that’s okay. Music was still the best.
I’ve mentioned that modern Spanish (ahem, J Balvin) is my favorite genre, but truthfully, I will listen to just about anything. I would compare my songs to apples. Of each barrel (genre) I only pick out the apples I think are best (songs). Therefore, my Spotify has awful mood swings. I can be listening to a song by Justin Bieber, and all of a sudden, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven comes on. That’s just two out of about 1,500. (I don’t know exactly how many songs I have, I stopped counting at 700.) Weird right?
That’s not all.
I watched a video on YouTube (a couple, actually) of the top songs that everybody hates. Nine out of ten of those songs are on my Spotify. I’m starting to wonder what even is my playlist. Could I even be a DJ at a party? I am fun at parties. Just kidding, I sit in the corner and eat the finger-foods, growling at people who come near me.
You don’t want to hear about my social life, though. So, here are ten songs from my Spotify on shuffle:
- “I Cry” by Flo Rida. This song kind of has mixed feelings. It’s upbeat and a great dance song, but the message is slightly sad. Flo Rida is great to me, even though no one else seems to think so.
- “Love Me or Hate Me” by Lady Sovereign. I first heard this song some years ago at the fair. They were playing it while I was on one of the rides. I started listening to it because it made me feel better about myself. Aside from the language, I think it’s a message of self confidence. In like, a rude way.
- “Chandelier” by Sia. I love Sia. I’ll be honest, I listen to this when I’m drinking. It’s a fun song and the music video is confusing, but it’s still enjoyable. It makes me happy.
- “Mr. Misunderstood” by Eric Church. So many people hate country music. I don’t see why. I guess it’s because I’m from the South and it’s popular here. Eric Church is my favorite country singer, though. This song is beautiful. It starts out slow, but gets up to a faster rhythm.
- “If It’s Lovin’ That You Want” by Rihanna. Back when I was a preteen, I had Rihanna’s older CD. Like ancient times, I listened to CDs. I think her older songs were better than they are, now, but that’s just my preference. For some reason, I always thought of being on a tropical island when I listened to this one. *Sigh* I have a strange mind.
- “Come & Get It” by Selena Gomez. Hehe. Yeah, I like Selena Gomez. I also watched her show on Disney Channel, Wizards of Waverly Place (don’t tell nobody). Also, I think her voice is amazing.
- “Love At First Sight” by Kylie Minogue. Oh, man. This song is old. I often wonder what happened to all those 90s pop singers. Not Britney Spears, though. We don’t talk about Britney.
- “My Prerogative” by Britney Spears. I swear this was pure coincidence. As soon as this song came on I started laughing. Do I really have to say anything about it?
- “Save Tonight” by Eagle-Eye Cherry. Again, it’s just one of those old songs that never get old. I remember when this song would come on the radio. It makes me think of the summer when I was a child and we would go swimming. Ah, nostalgia. You frequent my thoughts.
- “Everybody” by Backstreet Boys. I tried so hard. I tried to pray a likeable song would come on. But, Spotify failed me. Thanks, now they think I like boy bands. I mean, I do, but they didn’t have to know that. You can’t get much better than Backstreet Boys. Someone do a comparison of boy bands, now, and boy bands, then.
Well, then. I guess that’s that. I was expecting the embarrassing songs to come up first. Backstreet Boys are not embarrassing, I don’t care what you say.
I think what surprised me the most was that no Spanish music came up. It’s all I listen to, most of the time.
So, what did we learn? Music is great and my Spotify doesn’t know me, at all. I need to break up with my playlist. Find one that gets me.
What’s your favorite song?